JASON Learning is seeking a diverse, creative, and adventurous group
of students and educators to venture into the field
to conduct research with JASON scientists and engineers.
Are you or someone you know up to the challenge
of becoming one of our next JASON Argonauts?
As a JASON Argonaut you will embark on a life-changing journey, working side-by-side with scientists and engineers in the field. Student and Teacher Argonauts will spend anywhere from 3-10 days in the field during the summer or fall of 2016, depending on the expedition they are selected to participate in. Argonauts serve as ambassadors and role models for the JASON community, and may participate in speaking events related to the program before and after their field experience.
JASON Learning, with generous support from the Argonaut Program's sponsors, covers expenses for all related lodging, food, programming, and equipment costs related to the Argonaut experience.
Who Should Apply?
JASON is seeking a diverse group of students and teachers who:
- Demonstrate a strong interest and ability in science
- Possess excellent leadership and teamwork skills
- Are self-motivated, creative, and adventurous, taking personal initiative to meet challenges and overcome obstacles
- Possess excellent communication skills and are comfortable in front of a crowd, or a camera
- Exhibit an eagerness to participate in field activities which may be outdoors and/or strenuous in nature. Activities, locations, or conditions may include, but are not limited to:
- Rock climbing
- Extensive hiking/backpacking
- Underground exploration (caves or mines)
- Small/confined spaces
- Adverse weather conditions (temperature extremes, rain, wind, etc.)
- Interesting critters
- A variety of lodging possibilities, including dormitory-style, camping, and others
- Currently possess or can obtain a passport if selected for travel to an international expedition location
- Have ideally used JASON and/or its Immersion Learning program in an educational setting
We're looking for students who will be between the ages of 13-17 years old as of June 1, 2016.
For teachers, we prefer five or more years of experience working with students, and that you plan to continue working as an educator in the 2016-2017 school year (the school year following your JASON expedition) so as to be able to bring the value of your Argonaut experience back to your classroom.
How Do I Apply?
Additional instructions, downloadable forms, and the online application system for Student and Teacher Argonaut candidates can be found on the JASON website at jason.org/argo2016.
Applications are due by January 15, 2016
Selections will be made by early spring, 2016
Selected Argonauts will be notified and will begin preparing for their expeditions in late spring, 2016
Argonaut teams will participate in their expeditions in summer or fall, 2016
We want to hear from you!
Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions, comments, or feedback on our Argonaut program!